The translation industry is unregulated in UK, so it can be difficult to choose a suitably qualified translator to work with.

Fortunately, professional organisations like the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI) and the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) provide an excellent way for translators to have their skills and experience recognised.

Both associations have strict entrance criteria, including references, qualifications and evidence of professional experience. They also require members to carry out regular CPD activities (usually a minimum of 30 hours per year), and offer plenty of courses, webinars and other training and development opportunities.

Members of the ITI and the CIOL follow a code of conduct and agree to promote the highest standard of values, giving you peace of mind that you are working with a serious, professional linguist.

You might come across designation letters next to translators’ names. In the UK, these might be:

For the Institute of Translation and Interpreting:

✅ AITI - Associate
✅ MITI - Member
✅ FITI - Fellow

For the Chartered Institute of Linguists:

✅ ACIL - Associate
✅ MCIL - Member
✅ CL - Chartered Linguist
✅ FCIL - Fellow

Both the ITI and the CIOL also have categories for student, early career and corporate members. Other translators’ associations worldwide include the SFT (Société Française des Traducteurs) and the ATA (American Translators Association).

Professional associations are always a good place to look for committed translators!

* The email will not be published on the website.